This creamy tomato basil soup is hearty, sweet, and savory. It’s easy to make, and it tastes even more delicious the next day. Pair it with a toasted sandwich or sliced baguette. It’s naturally gluten-free and vegetarian.
It’s mid-November and tomato soup is on the menu. But I can’t help it. For starters, my husband loves tomato soup. He has been patiently asking for a pot of this goodness for weeks. Also, my indoor basil plant is still thriving. I know. I don’t quite understand either. However, it’s still kicking and I’m still chiffonading. Obviously, this calls for an obsessive amount of tomato basil soup, pizza, and homemade pesto before Christmas rolls around.
ingredients in homemade tomato basil soup
This bisque tastes just like a cream-based soup, sans a hefty amount of dairy. If you can’t tolerate dairy — or opt not to eat it — throw roasted pumpkin seeds, savory croutons, or chopped avocado on top off your bowl. This gluten-free soup has a hearty texture, thanks to under-pureeing it. For a silky, smooth texture, just blend for longer. The combination of leeks, white onion, and thyme give it fabulous flavor. The green oil is Manitoba’s Hemp Oil, which provides a vibrant green color, a nutty taste, and a generous dose of essential fatty acids (great for brain health). The ingredients below are merely for the soup itself — so get creative with your toppings.
Healthy Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes (28-ounces, each)
- 1 cup low-sodium veggie broth
- 1 15-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 leek (omit the green part)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (stems removed)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- salt to taste
- Chop leeks, mince garlic, and chop yellow onion.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add your ghee, leeks, and onion to the pot. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add your garlic, thyme, basil, oregano, and chili flakes. Stir. Mix, occasionally, until aromatic (2-3 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients (except salt) and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a blender (or use a hand blender). Blend until you reach desired creaminess. For a thinner soup, add more veggie broth. Taste and add sea salt.
- Divide into bowls and dig in! This will make 3-5 servings. Store in the fridge and it will last for up to 5 days.