I’m back with another soup recipe. Shocked? Soups are one of the easiest, most satisfying, and versatile dishes you can create in the kitchen (in my humble opinion). This soup took less than 20 minutes, like this one, and my husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed it. The ingredients are relatively simple, but it packs a great nutritional punch.
Bell peppers are an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), vitamin C, and vitamin B6. They’re also full of dietary fiber, folate, and potassium. Carrots are one of my favorite root veggies. Root veggies are known to help you feel grounded and centered. I talked a bit about this concept here! Carrots are also known for their beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium, and antioxidants. See? Vitamins and minerals galore.
I also want to highlight curry powder and turmeric. Curry powder contains calcium and magnesium (along with a slew of other vitamins and minerals), but magnesium is especially important—it helps increase energy, calms your nervous system, relieves muscle aches, prevents migraines, and is important for overall heart health. Talk about a superfood, right? Along those lines, turmeric is another one of those versatile and very powerful health foods. Like curry powder, It also has magnesium. But, it’s incredibly anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. Meaning, it helps reduce inflammation and ward off life-threatening diseases. Lastly, I added in two scoops of collagen. Collagen is amazing for hair, skin, joint, and tendon health.
So, while the ingredients for this soup are simple, the nutritional benefits you’ll reap are dynamic. My husband had a large bowl for dinner, but I had a small cup along with a hearty salad. It tastes even better the next day. Enjoy!
Nourishing Bell Pepper and Carrot Soup
- 2 large org7anic bell peppers (I used the red variety, but yellow and green work as well)
- 6-7 large organic carrots
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1 cup coconut milk lite or full fat
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins collagen
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash and chop your bell peppers and carrots into bite-sized pieces. Remove the outer layer from your onion and chop it into thin slices.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add 6-8 cups of water and boil. Once the water is boiling, add in your chopped peppers, carrots, and onion. Turn the heat down to medium and let the veggies simmer.
- After 10-15 minutes, the veggies should be soft (you should be able to stick a fork through them). Carefully drain the veggies in a colander.
- Add the veggies, veggie stock, and coconut milk to a high-powered blender. Blend until the veggies are puréed, but not completely smooth.
- Add your seasonings / spices to the blender and blend for 10 seconds. Taste and add more broth, sea salt, etc.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and top with hemp seeds, toasted walnuts, croutons, etc.
- Store the remaining soup in the fridge, covered, for a few days.