All over the world, millions of people are reexamining their approach to wellness. Many of these same people are also looking to supplement their income and change their lives. Is that you? Circa 2015, that was me. After beginning my career in the tech industry, I needed a change. I was burned out, unmotivated, and kept coming back to my passion for all-things health and wellness. As soon as I learned about the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, there was no turning back. To this day, my decision to enroll at IIN changed both my personal life and career. Below, you can read my Institute for Integrative Nutrition review, try a sample class, and get a discount when you enroll!
An Overview: the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN)
When you enroll, you aren’t just learning about nutrition. You’re connecting with a worldwide network of passionate, like-minded people: Champions for making wellness accessible for all; advocates for reversing the global healthcare crisis. IIN is the only holistic school that explores over 100 dietary theories from experts, doctors, and leaders in the wellness space. This was one of my favorite aspects of the school—I received a comprehensive overview of various approaches to wellness. Curious to learn more? Check out their robust curriculum guide. You can find IIN’s holistic program overview, here.
WHat Sets IIN APART?
Before I dive into my Institute for Integrative Nutrition review, what is IIN? IIN is the longest running institution that offers health coaching training. Founded in 1992, it has evolved into a global school with 100,000+ trained students. While IIN has a lot to be proud of, their role in creating the profession of health coaching comes with a deep sense of responsibility. These are the elements that set IIN apart from other health coaching schools:
• They created the field of health coaching.
• IIN is licensed by the New York State Department of Education, partnering with a variety of U.S. and international academic institutions. Your certification is worth up to 29 credits towards a bachelor’s, master’s, or even a doctorate degree, at participating institutions. In other words, you can apply your IIN education towards propelling your existing career forward.
• You’ll learn from over 85 experts in their dynamic, online curriculum. Their instructors are experts in their fields such as integrative health, nutrition, functional medicine, spirituality, alternative healing modalities, business and coaching.
• Their online program gives you the flexibility to learn on your own schedule. They have a 1-year or 6-month accelerated program option. I chose the former.
What are the PREREQUISITES to Enroll at IIN?
IIN’s only academic requirements are a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent. If you have a passion for health and wellness, a desire for a transformative personal experience, and the determination to make the world a healthier place, check out one of their sample classes.
When I decided to pursue IIN, I had zero background in formal nutrition training. While I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my credentials, I figured I would coach clients part-time or segue into corporate wellness.
I had a feeling IIN would open my eyes to a more well-rounded approach to wellness. And that was precisely what happened. I experienced tremendous personal growth in my year at IIN. That growth helped me mend my relationship with food, my body, and it eventually gave me the courage to leave my tech job. In a nutshell, it changed everything.
Why Did I Choose IIN?
I did my fair share of research before I chose Integrative Nutrition. Ultimately, it came down to a few things:
1. Cost: It was more cost-effective than other programs, and I was able to save money when I signed up! More on that, below.
2. Time: I needed something that would fit my demanding work schedule. IIN takes up 5-10 hours of your time during the week. It is absolutely doable with a busy schedule.
3. Content: I wanted an all-encompassing (and online-based) education. IIN provides a variety of dietary theories, has a myriad of different health professionals, doctors, and experts speak, and the resources they provide are outstanding. From workshop materials to a library of diet info to numerous handouts, there’s no need to reinvent the wheel once you graduate. They literally give you everything you need to start coaching clients, hosting workshops, creating newsletters, etc.
Is IIN hard?
From my perspective, no! You will be very supported along the way. IIN is rooted in the concept of bio-individuality. So, what you’ll learn won’t just focus on one particular way of approaching nutrition. You’ll learn everything from the macrobiotic diet, to eating for your blood type, to foods that aid in hormone balance. Some of the lectures are heavily science-based, others are more inspirational. At any rate, you’ll gain insight into how to support clients’ wellbeing beyond nutrition. After all, health goes beyond the plate. Additionally, you’ll learn how to start your health coaching business, market yourself, charge for your services, and more.
How is IIN structured?
The program, while chock-full of info, isn’t terribly rigorous. There are four tests, but they’re multiple choice + open-note. You’ll also need to complete client trials and join coaching calls with other students. Once you’re half way through the program, you can start seeing clients. After you graduate, you’ll receive a diploma in the mail and will be a certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach.
How am I using my Credentials?
The beauty of IIN lies in the myriad of ways you can use your credentials. You can completely switch careers, as I did, or segue into corporate wellness. Maybe, you tack it onto your services as a physical trainer or postpartum doula. Want to host nutrition workshops at your local yoga studio? No problem. You can join a parenting group in your neighborhood and teach meal prepping—or make meal prep the focal point of your business.
Without a doubt, you can make it your lucrative full-time or part-time job. Personally, I coach clients, partner with like-minded brands to create a variety of sponsored content, freelance write, and give wellness presentations. The program truly lays the foundation for everything from partnering with a OB/GYN clinic to creating a steady health coaching business. And good news is, you can absolutely meet your financial goals as a full-time health coach. I’m living proof.
Do I recommend IIN?
Yes. I wholeheartedly recommend IIN. As mentioned, it changed both my personal and professional life. Best of all, it has given me financial freedom and an ability to create the job of my dreams.
a generous IIN Discount For you!
Want an IIN discount code? In terms of savings, you can save up to $2,000+ on tuition as my referral. You’ll just want to use my name, Edie Horstman, as your referral to take advantage, here. Cheers to transforming your own health and happiness while creating the life + career you’ve always dreamed of! Feel free to contact me with any additional questions.
Leave a Reply