Hi, friends! I just realized that the last recipe I posted on my blog was for cookies. Oops. But, I’ve been in a baking mood lately. It’s a therapeutic break from work (especially since I’m working from home most days). So, I hope you don’t mind 🙂
Instead of chewy tahini and ginger cookies, these are a twist on hearty, delicious trail mix. They’re the perfect combination of sweet, salty, and chewy, and they’re chock-full of nutrient-dense ingredients. I took a relatively simple cookie dough base and added shredded coconut, dark chocolate, popcorn, and half of a Square Organics bar. Feel free to use wellnesswithedie upon checkout for 20%-off of any Square products! Their bars and popcorn are some of my favorite snacks.
When it comes to trail mix cookies, mixing and matching your ingredients is key. And, for the most part, you can’t go wrong. If you’re preferential to a certain taste or texture, you can easily swap the chocolate for dried cranberries, the shredded coconut for chopped walnuts, the popcorn for pretzels, etc. These make for an energizing mid-morning snack, a healthy potluck dessert, or a creative recipe for a cookie exchange. And, if you use gluten-free oats, these are gluten-free.
Oh, and start to finish, these took me 20 minutes. The dough prep took 10 and baking took another 10. Easy peasy.
Healthy Trail Mix Cookies
- 1 cup oats (old fashioned or quick-cooking)
- 1 cup oat flour (just process your oats in a blender, food processor, or coffee grinder)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup Square Organics "lightly sweet" protein popcorn
- 1/2 chopped Square Organics "vanilla cashew" crisp bar
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Make sure your coconut oil isn't piping hot.
- In another bowl, combine your oats, oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and sea salt. Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix evenly. But, don't over mix.
- Fold in your chocolate, popcorn, Square bar, and shredded coconut.
- Scoop out the dough and bake for 9-10 minutes. No need to leave too much space between each dough ball because these won't spread out.
- Let them cool, then eat!