This time of year, we love a satisfying, nourishing soup. This curried carrot and quinoa soup is packed with seasonal ingredients, healthy fats, and energizing carbohydrates. It’s sweet yet spicy and has the perfect texture. Made with simple ingredients and pantry staples, it comes together in no time. Plus, it’s vegan and gluten-free.
ingredients in Vegan Curried Carrot and Quinoa Soup
Quinoa: Rich in fiber, minerals, antioxidants and all nine essential amino acids, quinoa is one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods on the planet.
Coconut oil: The fatty acids in coconut oil are remarkably healthy. They also provide quick energy to your body and brain.
Onion: Containing antioxidants, fiber, and robust flavor, every soup should start with chopped onion.
Carrots: One of my favorite starchy vegetables, carrots are rich in fiber, vitamin A, and beta-carotene. Plus, they aid in regulating blood sugar.
Vegetable stock: I love using veggie stock as the base. It’s nutrient-dense and provides subtle flavor.
Coconut milk: One of the reasons this soup is so creamy and flavorful is because of full-fat coconut milk. It’s the perfect dairy alternative. Plus, it contains health benefits for your hormones, hair, skin, and nails.
Ginger root: Ginger is loaded with antioxidants, can support immune health, and even alleviate nausea. A little bit of ginger goes a long way.
Curry powder: One of the key ingredients in curry powder is turmeric. Turmeric has been shown to reduce inflammation in the body. It pairs well with carrots and onion too.
Garlic: Like onion, every good soup (or savory dish!) starts with garlic.
Chili flakes: Chili flakes give this soup a slight yet powerful kick. They’re optional.
Sea salt and pepper: Sea salt and pepper boost flavor. Taste and add accordingly!
HOW TO MAKE Curried Carrot and Quinoa Soup
Inspiration for this soup
Adapted from this recipe, my version is packed with even more protein, fiber, and complex carbs. While I love creamy soups, I find that I’m not always satisfied after. I wanted to create something that’s equally delicious as an appetizer as it is for a full meal. A soup that leaves you feeling satisfied and gives you just the right amount of energy. There’s plenty of protein from the quinoa (a seed), fiber from the carrots, healthy fats from the coconut milk and avocado oil, and exotic flavors from the curry powder, garlic, and fresh ginger. This soup is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, but it’s not lacking in creaminess. In need of more soup recipes? My creamy tomato basil soup is a family-favorite, too.
Vegan Curried Carrot and Quinoa Soup
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (sub: avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
- 7-8 medium-sized carrots, cut into small pieces
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 15-oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your quinoa according to the package.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and chop carrots into small pieces.
- Once the quinoa is done, heat a separate (large) pot on medium-high heat. Pour in avocado oil.
- Toss in onions and carrots. Sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in your ginger root, garlic, curry powder, chili flakes, sea salt, and pepper. Stir until all veggies are evenly coated. Sauté for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add in your coconut milk and veggie broth. Reduce to a simmer. Let the soup cook until the carrots and onions are soft (10-12 minutes).
- Transfer your soup to a blender and blend on high for 2-3 minutes. Taste and add more sea salt if necessary.
- Pour your blended soup back into your large pot. Toss in your cooked quinoa.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, raw pumpkin seeds, parsley, a dollop of yogurt (dairy-free to keep it vegan), etc.
custom essay writing service says
Thank you for this post. . The recipe is actually wonderful. it’s far very tasty and healthy too. i was trying to find such wholesome and tasty recipes. Keep sharing.